Monday 28 May 2012

Long overdue post...

Its been quite a while since my last (and first) post. The reason? Well, quite simply, its just been really difficult to sit down and find the time to write (that and I'm a born procrastinator). This has also been the case with my running as I've really struggled to get back into the rhythm of going out to train. For many years, since I started training properly, going training almost happened subconsciously. Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings were just training days. Looking back to some Sunday mornings post a uni night out I struggle to believe that I actually functioned, never mind make it to training for a 10:30am hill session. Not particularly proud of that, and it must have been a contributing factor to my times going downhill but it does illustrate what an involuntary, reflex reaction going to training was.

It has been difficult to try and get this back after such a long time out. It's not been for the want of trying either but as I am a bit older now, boring middle aged things have started to sneak up on me and get in the way - such as doing a bit of DIY or staying late to finish a report at work. I knew this would be the case as it was a contributing factor to me stopping in the first place but it has surprised me how hard its been to get disciplined again.

Having said all of that, I have actually been doing some running since my last post. As I was starting from such a low base (see previous post for gory details), I thought it would be best to start with some long(ish!) runs at a very slow pace just to get my general conditioning better. I won't bore you reader with the minutiae of every run but suffice to say I started out pretty crap 3 weeks ago and I am still pretty crap but less so. I'm doing a 5k circuit on a very flat road course and my first run took 23 mins(!) with a lot of walking and I am now down to 18 mins with no walks and a sprint finish.*

*As a quick aside, I am making a solemn vow to you now dear reader, that I won't bullshit on any times that I give here. Some might be quite embarrassing, particularly when I start back on the track but I want this to be an honest account that I can look back on in a couple of years and see some real progress.

I expect to carry on with the long runs for this week (probably another 2-3) and then next week I will move onto some shorter tempo grass runs for a month which I will do 3 times a week. I'm hoping that I can be disciplined enough to carry on with the longer runs a couple of times a week because I've found them beneficial - particularly in loosening up my hip flexers and lower back. I always used to give long distance runners a bit of stick in the various training groups that I've been a part of - calling them uncharitable things such as 'joggers' and asking them 'why don't they just try to run a bit quicker?' I can see now that such dunderhead things were borne out of an insecurity as I've never really been able to 'do' long distance. Every track and field discipline is challenging and has its own idiosyncratic demands but I think being able to train for middle/long distance takes a special type of determination that requires intelligence, patience and the ability for one to be comfortable in their own head for a considerable amount of time. Talents, alas, that I seem to lack.

Anyway, I digress. Despite this blogs' and as a corollary; my return to athletics' stuttering start, I intend to keep this blog updated every week and hopefully it will become more interesting as I start to do some 'proper' 400m sessions. I am tempted to do a Stretford Open in late August just to set a marker but at the moment, the thought of it scares the life out of me. I'm only planning to get back on the track in October so maybe it will come a little bit too early. If I can get myself back in a routine we shall see...

As a final point, I would just like to thank everyone who commented on this blog through Facebook - many of you former training partners. Whilst some of you have understandably given me some deserved abuse for my very public show of catharsis (Mike), all of you have been supportive which has reinforced to me why I wanted to get back into athletics - at whatever level - everyone is just really sound.

Cheers.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment